Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Mockingjay

Okay, here's my issues:

1. I kept waiting for the book to "start". And waiting, and waiting. I got to about a hundred pages in and realized, "Huh. I guess this is as good as it's going to get." Really, I should have known better. It's not like they could have fanagled another Hunger Games. But I just felt like the realness of the characters wasn't there anymore.

2. I liked Finnick's Annie. A little more background on her would have been nice. Or miraculously finding a cure for some of her issues. Or having her bond some with Katniss. Something.

3. And some more one Maysielee, from Haymitch's point of view, especially now that he wasn't drunk all the time. Or from Madge and her family. Oh wait. That's right. They're dead. (Is is cruel that I would have rather kept them than Greasy Sae?)

4. I kept thinking "When is Cinna going to show up? It's got to be soon." If he was dead clear back in book two, why not make it final and tell us? And, dear Ms. Collins, if you left it open so that you could possibly bring him back, why didn't you? What a disappointment. Heck, I would have even taken him as President Snow Suzanne. I mean, they could fix those lips and the rose stench in the Capitol, right? R.I.P. Cinna.

5. Prim. Dear, sweet Prim who was growing up into such an amazing person. Really?! Seriously?! Kept waiting for the "Oh, wait. Not really. That was a mistaken identity." That ending for her was not okay. In fact, her ending was swiped right out from under her, by her own sister. That leads to my next point.

6. The epilouge was ridiculous. Katniss was dead set against having kids. How selfish of Peeta to convince her into it? And how scary for Katniss to have children and know that their father has to remember not to kill people (not just including Katniss, but especially her) every once in a while? That epilouge would have been fine, great even, if it would have been Prim and one of Gale's brothers that she had married, back in the meadow watching their children. But not Katniss. And especially not Peeta. It's not even Peeta's meadow!

7. And Gale. Oh, Gale. You didn't even try. You just moved on to your cushy new job and forgot all about the love of your life. Why? I felt like Katniss settled, because she knew that you gave up. Sure, maybe it was because the situation with Prim, but it felt so wrong to me when Katniss didn't end up with Gale.

All around very disappointing, not what I was expecting, and surely not what I was hoping for.

Dear Ms. Collins: That sucked. How about you try again?

Dear Barnes and Noble: May I please have my money back?

1 comment:

  1. good points. i agree with you on a lot of them, too. i was disappointed in a lot of ways. but, all in all i ended up liking the book. i guess i'm just easy to please.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for showing your love by commenting!