Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Cavity

After three successful check ups in a row with no cavities, I was pretty bummed when Hayley's check up was not all clear at the dentist's office last week. She was pretty bummed too. I have to give her credit though, because even the dentist said that he could tell she brushes, but that this cavity was due to lack of flossing. (Really though, I can only do so much in the way of a five year old's oral hygiene.) Hayley was very nervous about getting her cavity filled, especially about the shot. We decided to try the laughing gas on her, and see if it would calm her down some.



It didn't really calm her down, but it made for good entertainment:



As soon as the dentist came in, she ripped off the gas, her headphones, and her sunglasses, sat straight up and proceeded to cry and say how she didn't want a shot. Ended up I got to help hold that little girl down while they numbed her up. Here's the kicker though. The dentist, as he's giving her the shot, is telling her that it's just cold, cold water to make her cheek go to sleep, and she calmed right down. And after the shot was done, she looked over at me with her sad eyes and said, "Mom, I really don't want a shot." Yeah, she didn't even know that it was already done. Good work Dentist!

While she was numbing up the dentist left the room, and she got to sit on my lap, still telling me how she didn't want a shot. When he came back in, she did not want to get back up on that dentist chair for anything. It wasn't until she bargained her way up to three tokens for the machine in the waiting room, and had had a threat from me that I would hold her down like I had to during the "cold, cold water" that she got up on the chair and toughed it out. The dentist showed her each tool he was going to use, and told her exactly what he was doing with each tool as he did it. She laid there calmly through the whole filling of her cavity, and finished off with a high five for the dentist and a tooth-brushing for Mama Bear.



No more cavities ever for Hayley would be optimal, but it's probably not very realistic. I may sit the next one out and let Jeremy take her. Maybe he can make it through the appointment without being in tears along with his daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for showing your love by commenting!