Monday, January 5, 2009

"We're Pregnant!" or, if you prefer "The WalMart Baby"

Some of you may think it's weird that I'm posting this story, however, I think some of you may get a kick out of it, so here it is. Feel free to skip over this post, if you'd rather.

So here's the story of the finding out we're pregnant. I got up on a Friday, five days late, and Aunt Flo still hadn't come. So I stopped at WalMart to buy a pregnancy test thinking, "I'll take this later, at home, with Jeremy there." Except that didn't really work out. I only made it as far as the WalMart restroom. And then the test was positive, and there was no one there I could tell!! So then I was like "What do I do? I guess I just go to school and try to act normal." (As some of you know, acting normal is usually one of my stronger traits. No so much for my class of fourth graders.) Anyway, so then I was thinking I would tell some of the girls at work. And then I thought that must be breaking some kind of "code" to be telling friends before I told my husband. So I didn't tell anyone. All day. Even though I wanted to. Really bad.

Keeping to myself all day did give me a chance to think up a fun way to tell Jeremy though. I put my BFP pregnancy test in a baggie (because, gross, it had pee on it, in case you didn't know) and then wrapped it in an Christmas gift bag. Then Hayley and I met up with Jeremy during his lunch hour and I let Hayley give Jeremy his "present." He was happy, surprised, and excited, and so was I, because finally someone knew besides me!

Hayley is excited too, but I don't know if she totally gets it yet. My vote was to not tell her for a few months, but others around her were way too excited, and she is pretty perceptive. Bets on how she will react are a mixed bag. Either she'll love it, or she's going to be really ticked off. I'm hoping for the first, but expecting a little of both. Either way, I'm excited to be a mommy to two instead of one!

P.S. I tried the pregnancy test in the giftbag trick on my mom, and she was like, "Why are you giving me thermometers?" She more than made up for it though when I told her what they were, and she was super excited. She even cried, which I can't say for myself, and I'm the one that's pregnant!

7 comments:

  1. That's hilarious!! I love what your mom said- thermometers? Maybe they didn't really have home pregnancy tests when our moms were having babies. Anyway, so exciting! Congratulations again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think its a great story! I don't know how you kept it quiet all day though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "act normal," huh? You did a pretty good job of it. I was worried when you ran out of here so fast after school but I just figured it was because your kids hadn't been acting normal and you wanted to get away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Heather! It's Melissa from school. I hope you don't mind I peeked at your blog from Hayley's. I am so excited for you! I still remember enduring all those ESL classes together when you were expecting Hayley. I'm really glad that's over! Anyway, congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Heather! I found your blog by visiting Hayley's. Hope you don't mind. I love the story!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so excited for you!! So when is the due date? How does Hayley feel about being a big sister? I'm sorry you're starting to feel sick (another entry) but hopefully it will pass soon! And I tried to comment on your Horse story but it wouldn't work - it really did give me a good laugh and I'm so glad someone thought to make a copy of it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Conrats!! That is wonderful news!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for showing your love by commenting!