Thursday, June 3, 2010

Some Facts of Life

No parenting class prepared me for questions like this, that's for sure.

We passed by a cemetary on Memorial Day. It was beautiful, with flowers everywhere. Hayley asked me, "Mom, is that the Tulip Festival?"
Me: "No, Hayley, that's a cemetary."
Hayley: "What's a cem-en-tary?"
Me: "It's where they bury people's bodies after they die."
Hayley: "Bury them?"
Me: "Yeah, they put them in the ground."
Hayley: "Why are there so many flowers?"
Me: "Because it's a nice thing to do to tell people that you love them and you miss them."
Hayley: "Oh. That's nice."

A few minutes pass then, "Mom, how did Jesus make me?"
Me: "He kind of made you, and Mommy and Daddy kind of made you. But Jesus and Heavenly Father made Adam and Eve."
Hayley: "How?"
Me: "He made Adam out of mud, and he made Eve from part of Adam."
Hayley: (incredulously) Out of mud?!"
Me: "Yeah, like when you make things out of Play Doh."
Hayley: "But did he make me out of mud?"
Me: "No, Mommy and Daddy made you, and then you grew in Mommy's tummy. (Please don't ask for more details, please don't ask for more details) Then when you were born, Jesus and Heavenly Father sent your spirit to be together with your body, and make a Little Girl Hayley!"
Hayley: "And Jackson?"
Me: "Yep, same thing with Jackson. His spirit got sent down to make a Baby Jackson!"
Hayley: (after a while of quiet again) "Mom?"
Me: (almost afraid to respond) "Yeah?"
Hayley: Can I have a piece of gum?"
Me: (relieved) "Sure!" Finally, an easy question. Geez. Givin' it to her straight, but keeping it in four year old language was kind of exhausting! Hope I had my facts right.

He is a pretty sweet spirit!

2 comments:

  1. my nephew asked me how my baby got in my belly this weekend. i offered him some candy. good distraction.

    my other nephew spent the whole weekend looking in my belly button trying to see the baby. that was cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great answers to her questions. Good thing she didn't ask more. :) She's such a doll!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for showing your love by commenting!