Sunday, August 29, 2010

What's New Pussycat?

So last weekend we went to the zoo. Again. (Can't help it. It's a fun, free-ish activity, that's almost a sure bet to get a nap out of Hayley.) This trip was kind of different, because we got there right at opening, before it was super hot, and caught many of the animals early enough that they were a lot more alert. This leopard kept pacing back and forth at the window the whole time Hayley was standing there. She loved seeing him up close, and moving, since usually we just get to see them taking their afternoon nap.



We moved on to the tigers (didn't get a picture of the real thing, so the statues of them will have to do) who were also awake and moving around, and as Hayley watched them, she asked me where the tigers had babies. I told her they had them right here at the zoo, and she thought that was pretty cool. Next she asked if a tiger and the leopard could have a baby together. I told her I really wasn't sure, but we could look it up when we got home.



After wearing the kids out, we headed home and did some googling. Turns out a leopard and a tiger are not able to have a baby, neither a Dogla or a Tigard. Maybe that's a good thing. It may quickly have become a case of "Am I spotted with stripes, or striped with spots?"

Our research did get me thinking about a hybrid that I knew could happen: a Liger. You know, Napoleon Dynamite's favorite animal? I started wondering what ever happened to Shasta, the liger that was stuffed after her death and was on display at the zoo during my childhood. (Back when they still had the machines that made animals out of wax. Man, those were cool!) Turns out she is on display at BYU now, so no longer at Hogle Zoo. Other interesting info? Shasta was not intentionally bred. Her tiger mother was moved into the lion cage to cut costs after her mate died. Well, one thing led to another, and ta da! Shasta the Liger. Also, ligers are the largest big cat in the world, possibly because they lack the ability to regulate growth hormones, and continue to grow for a longer period in their life than most other animals do.

By the time I had my questions answered, Hayley was asleep next to me on the couch. Success!

I understand if you are asleep by now too. But some useless history is kind of fun, every now and then.

In case you are bored enough that you are still here, this is what I was referring to:



And a list of locations that still have the "waxies."

That's all.





No, really, that's all.






You still here?





Okay, fine.



A pic of my two favorite boys.

Kthanxbye.

4 comments:

  1. hilarious.

    and yes, this summer when i went with the nieces and nephews, we got there first thing in the morning & the animals were much more active & exciting. that's a good little secret!

    i'm disappointed about not tigard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness I loved those animals made out of wax! Best things ever! :) I really need to make a trip back to the zoo. I haven't been in way too long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That totally brought back so many memories talking about Shasta and the Wax animal machines! Do they still have the lion drinking fountain? That was always the highlight for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The lion fountain is still there Kel. I'm just a little weird about public drinking fountains and germs, so unless Hayley spots it and wants a drink I don't point it out.

    I'm off track the end of September. We should do the zoo one day after MaKell is done with Kindergarten for the day. They don't have any horses, but I bet she'd settle for some of the other fun animals. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for showing your love by commenting!