Saturday, December 12, 2009

I Needed a Little Christmas Spirit

So, I just haven't been feeling very Christmasey this year. I don't know what it is, but Christmas is seriously close, and I still wasn't feelin' it. What's a sure cure for my bit of Grinchiness? Head to the mall at Christmas time of course!

I went out determined to have a good attitude. And I did. We skipped the Santa in the middle of the mall, the one with over an hour wait, and opted instead for the Santa with the freebie picture in Macy's. They also had a craft table set up for kids to write letters to Santa, which Hayley did happily for over 20 minutes, stopping every so often to show what she had drawn to Baby Jackson in his stroller. For once, I just slowed down and watched her. And realized how big she is getting, and how proud I am of all the learning she is doing, and how lucky I am that she took to her baby brother so well and so quickly.

After that, Hayley saw some kids with balloons, so we scouted out who was giving out the free balloons in the mall. Amazing how happy just a balloon can make a kid! Next stop was the bathroom where Hayley got her precious hug-and-kiss-bandaids wet. (Another story, another post...) She's kind of crying about it as we leave, and this nice grandma lady stops, digs in her purse a little, and comes up with a Backyardigans bandaid. Really?! What a life saver! Then she said goodbye and hurried on her way.

Next up, Jackson's hungry, so off we go to find a dressing room big enough for the four of us (no, Jer wasn't with us, but let's face it, the dang stroller counts for at least one person), with a tricky enough lock that Hayley can't escape, and without space under the stalls that she can crawl under. (She's been known to make new friends in dressing rooms.) We find one and get situated, and I'm talking to Hayley, and to Jackson, when the lady in the next stall pipes up, "I like the way you speak to your kids. You sound like a great mom." I thank her, proceed to have a little cry, and continue to reflect on my attitude and the Christmas Season.

I didn't buy anything at the mall. That wasn't the point of today's trip.

Funny the things that will change your outlook, like a unplanned Santa opportunity and a free balloon.

Funny how angels will show up with unexpected gifts and in unexpected places.

Funny how when I just slowed down and chilled out a little, I found that the Christmas Spirit was already there, all around me, all along.

2 comments:

  1. You are an amazing mom, with amazing children to prove it! I'm glad you had a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post, a good reminder to slow down every once in awhile. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for showing your love by commenting!