Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Mazatlan


Posted by Picasa

In Mazatlan, the four of us went on a Mexican Show and Sightseeing Tour. It started out at the Immaculate Conception Cathedral, which was beautiful. We learned some cool history about the church too, like the mural behind the towers is one of only two like it that depicts the Holy Spirit as a man, and there are 26 Stars of David in the stain glass windows in the church to represent the Jewish calendar, because Jews donated money to have this Catholic Church built. It was a tribute from the current bishop to them.

We then went on to a Mexican Dance show that had dances from all of the different areas of Mexico, including the Papantla Flyers, guys that tie a rope to their waist or ankles and spin around upside down while attached to a pole with the rope.

From there we did some shopping at a fun store called Senor Frogs. To me it just looked like a cool store with a bunch of cute stuff. I realized quickly when I wore my new hat the next day that Senor Frogs is also just about the craziest bar in Mexico. People kept pointing at my hat and then asking me if I was hungover, some even asked if I was sober yet from the night before. Hmmm.

The last thing we did on the tour was see this cliff diver. Talk about crazy! The diver has a small hole that he has to make his dive into, or it won't be deep enough. He's not dead yet, so I guess he's got it figured out, but could you imagine doing that for the first time? Or at all?!

We then headed back to the ship, for an afternoon send off for Cabo San Lucas the next day!

1 comment:

  1. Have I mentioned that when I'm having a bad day as a teacher I dream of quitting and becoming a cliff diver at the Mayan?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for showing your love by commenting!