Sunday, May 9, 2010

Double Double Whammy!

Not only is May 5th Cinco De Mayo, it's also my Mom's birthday and Jeremy's birthday. We had celebrated with a family dinner last Sunday, but since I forgot the cards, they didn't get them until their actual birthday. And since I decided that they needed something to go with the cards, they each also got some chocolate strawberries. (Yes, I may have gotten them because I knew they would share. He he.)

After visiting with my mom on her birthday for a little while after work, I headed home and gave Jer his card and treat. Then after putting the kids to bed early, I asked Jeremy what he wanted to do for the rest of the evening on his birthday. His response, "I kind of just want to play my video game." Now, my feelings could have been hurt, but they weren't. I get it. He'd been home with the kids all day, both of whom can be a handful. I know full well that sometimes all you want after they're down for the night is a breather. So, Jeremy and I spent the evening in our newly finished basement, him playing his game (and occasionally cussing), and me catching up on (3 months of) Jackson's baby book. Together time, but with each of us doing something different. It was a pretty chill evening. And it was great. I'm sure we'll do a birthday date after Iron Man comes out.

On to the next, today is not only Mother's Day, but also Jeremy and my 7th Anniversary. On the one hand, it's amazing how time flies, but on the other, we've done a lot in seven years. Among my favorites are those two cute kids. Hayley had been pretty elusive about the marigold she brought home from preschool on Thursday, until today after Jeremy gave me flowers, when she said, "Oh, Mom! I forgot this is for you!" That part I was kind of expecting, but then she did these cute little actions while saying "I... love... you!" with the "you" part being a hug for me. Sometimes that kid melts my heart! However, with her sometimes enough is enough, because after singing Mother's Day songs in Sacrament Meeting (which was so cute), Hayley informed me that she needed my flower the ward was giving out because "You already have plenty at home! You're getting kind of spoiled, Mom!" Hey, can't I have one day out of the year?

I did let her have the flower, after she came home and gave me the cute pillow with her handprint that she made in her primary class. That wasn't really a surprise either, since my mom is her teacher. That's the other thing that I am so thankful for today. I didn't think I could love my mom any more than I did, and then I had kids. Watching how much she loves them makes me love her even more. It's a special thing that I have with my mom, because neither of my other sisters have any kids. I'm the only one who gets to have the mom-to-mom chats with her. I love it.

Anyway, lots going on. May is always a little bit of a madhouse for us, but truth be told, I kind of love it. It means I get to see family more than usual, and reflect on and tell them how much I love them. Yes, I know I shouldn't need a day, but lots of times the day makes for a nice reminder.

2 comments:

  1. i'm glad Hayley's keeping you humble. :) adorable pillow by the way.

    glad you enjoy the madness. i wish i did more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a great mom!! Your kiddos are adorable. Happy Mother's Day/ Anniversary! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for showing your love by commenting!